After all those lockdown Zoom meetings, Somermead will provide you and your unit/group an instant breath of fresh air, with outdoor activities on a ready-to-go basis. It has games and equipment set in open countryside all waiting for you – just come along, give it a go, and enjoy!
About our venue
Set in the heart of rural Somerset, Somermead is a base for outdoor activity and camping. After being closed for the beginning of 2021 during lockdown, we are looking forward to welcoming visitors and is opening in accordance with government guidelines.
With on-site equipment and prepared resources for fun-filled activities, the 3-acre site is ideal for a day or evening of ready-to-go outdoor activities, and is open to guiding and scouting members, youth organisations, schools, and playgroups. Unit or group camping will be available as government permits, and use by associated families is also welcomed for camping and children’s birthday parties.
The site is also open for short staycations for families associated with guiding or scouting.
As we look forward to meeting outdoors this spring and summer, we’ll soon be sharing information about how you can enjoy time in the ‘great outdoors’ with us at Somermead.
What does Somermead offer?
- Safe and secure 3-acre grassy field site
- Three fully-equipped camping sites
- Site for family camping caravan or camper van
- On-site play and activity equipment
- Outdoor cooking (with dry wood available)
- Campfire area (with dry wood available)
- Ready-to-use team activities, wide games and scavenger hunts
- Programmed nature-based and craft activities
- Wide range of additional activity resources for ages from 5 upwards
- Picnic tables, dry shelter and chairs
- Fully lit toilet and shower block (DDA compliant) with hot and cold water, washing-up facilities, fridges and freezers, mobile phone charging points
- Pre-prepared risk assessment information
What can I visit from the area?
Somermead is ideally located for easy access to:
|Where?||What for?||How far?|
|Wedmore Golf Club||Golf||½ mile|
|Wedmore village||Provisions, Pubs and Restaurants, Saxon Church||1½ miles|
|Cheddar||Gorge and Caves||4 miles|
|Cheddar Gorge||Road Cycling||4 miles|
|Mendip Hills||Walking||4+ miles|
|Wookey Hole||Caves||6 miles|
|Wells||Cathedral and Bishop’s Palace Gardens||7 miles|
|Glastonbury||Abbey and Tor||7 miles|
|Mendip Outdoor activity centre||Outdoor activities||7 miles|
|Court Farm Country Park (Weston-super-Mare)||Viewing Farm Animals (suitable 0 – 12 years)||8 miles|
|Burnham on Sea||Beach||8 miles|
|Weston-super-Mare||Beach and Pier||10 miles|
How Do I Get there?
Somermead Campsite’s address is: Snipefield Lane, Wedmore, BS28 4QS
It is accessed down a short track leading from Snipefield Lane.
How Much Does it Cost?
To be confirmed.
How do I book?
Complete and submit the booking form below. Once we have received your enquiry we will respond by email.
The small print
- Use of the site is on a self-accommodating and self-catering basis
- Only assistance dogs are allowed. Please let us know if you will be bringing one.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the site
- Please make use of the onsite recycling facilities, and take any additional waste home.
Somermead Lodge has unfortunately had to be taken out of use due to an issue with rotting of the timbers, making it potentially unsafe. A solution is being sought though is likely to cost a very large sum of money as it will entail complete replacement of the existing floor. Further information will be added here as it becomes available.
Get in touch
Please use the booking enquiry form above to arrange a booking. For anything else, please contact our volunteers using this form: